Another new start: Picovoli
Posted by Amber on April 18, 2007
Last night I was lamenting the fact that I had no yarn for the project I wanted to make right away (I caved in and bought the Simple Knitted Bodice – I tried with the specs I’d written down for my own knockoff version, and that failed, and I was clearly having a dim moment when I last measured my swatch – I wrote down 4.5spi on the tag, and when I remeasured last night, it was 5.5 spi. So woe, no yarn. Guess I’ll add that to the list to take to MDS&W). And while lamenting I made a list of sweaters in various states of disarray (Samus, Rogue, Top-Down Lace Sleeve) and things I had swatches for, but had size/gauge issues still (Tricot, Kimono, Lucy in the Sky) and I almost added Picovoli to the latter list, until I found my swatch, measured, and realized, it was just right. No gauge-math needed!
Of course, I fall right in the middle of the sizes (at least for suggested ease of -2″). But you know, I think zero inches of ease will probably be just fine.
Of course, there are no pictures. Take my word for it that the picots look great (I did the provisional cast on, and after the yo-row I did two rows plain, then joined by unzipping my cast-on and putting the stitches on another needle, and then knitting one stitch from each needle together (much as one would do a three needle bind off, but without the bind off part). Terribly awkward to execute, but it looks really good – and with one less step in finishing later.